Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Jamie O'Keefe

ONLYROCKRADIO.COM
  1. What's your name?
  2. Jamie O'Keefe
  3. Where are you from?
  4. Perth, Australia
  5. Tell us how your journey has been from your beginnings until now.
  6. I started playing piano at a young age and then learnt
  7. the drums just before I began high school, where I teamed
  8. up with some guys and formed a band.  For some reason we were
  9. more focused on writing our own songs and while the others
  10. were having a break I'd pick up one of there guitars and try to
  11. play dammit by Blink 182 so I could retire at the zenith of guitar playing.
  12. Which is how I learnt to play the guitar and it turned out I had a knack
  13. for making things up and coming up with songs in a way which real guitarists
  14. couldn't.  So I fronted a new band called Piracy, to unleash all these songs and
  15. life was good, we were gigging all the time and just loving it.  We recorded
  16. a DIY EP called Demonstration but the band disbanded because I'd finished
  17. high school and was moving town.  Fast forward 10 years of slogging it out
  18. in the trenches and I started Disconnected Genius. Finally, I made it to a proper
  19. recording studio and recorded Dogs Chasing Fairy Tales and recently, Nirvikalpa Meow.
  20. Tell us about your musical style, influences, ...
  21. It's all based on the triangle of guitar / bass / drums with a bit of piano and playing the guitar on the couch
  22. and just noticing that you're playing something which sounds cool and more often than
  23. not a seed like that will turn into a song.
  24. Bryan Adams and Oasis I liked a lot early on, also Throwing Copper by Live was
  25. an album that made it's way into my consciousness which I thought was great.
  26. I first starting listening to music when Don't Speak by No Doubt was number 1
  27. for ages.
  28. Growing up Green Day & Blink 182 were pretty massive for me, as were Linkin Park & Powderfinger.
  29. What has been your last project?
  30. Nirvikalpa Meow.
  31. And the next thing you have planned?
  32. I'm working on a 3rd DG album, demo-ing songs to bring them to there full potential,
  33. feeling pretty good about it but it's going to take a while.
  34. Upcoming concerts, events ....
  35. Taking time off to work on the new album but I do live interviews from time to time, which
  36. is pretty much the only public displaying of anything at the moment.
  37. Links of interest
  38. Listen:
  1.  
  2.  
  3. Find:
  4. What's else?
  5. Stay tuned for the 3rd Disconnected Genius album

No comments:

Post a Comment