Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Brother to the Birds


1 & 2. What is your name? Where are you from?- Brother to the Birds. I'm Andrew Englezos from Melbourne, Australia

3. Tell us how your journey has been from your beginnings until now.
The songs on my EP were a culmination of 7 years of songwriting which started around the time I got married. A lot of the content in the tracks are about my life over those years.


4. Tell us about your musical style, influences
- My music is indie laid-back ethereal folk. Many of my songs are inspired by St Francis of Assisi and are about seasons of grief and hope. I love to use imagery of nature in my music. My main music influences range from Fleet Foxes, Sigur Ros, Radiohead, Bjork, Simon and Garfunkel, Sting's solo stuff, Lord Huron and ethnic Turkish and Greek music. I also listen to a lot of electronic artists like Four Tet, Baths and Jon Hopkins.

5. What has been your last project?
- In 2013, we began recording six tracks with Dallas Cosmas and Wayne Rintoul at the Prototype Musique recording studio in a beautiful part of Melbourne called Briar Hill. The melodious birds and the tall trees surrounding the studio helped inspire the laid-back ethereal sounds on the record which was released as an EP in May 2014. In fact you can sometimes hear the birds on the tracks, which I love.

6. And the next thing you have planned?
- I'm planning a new album in 2018 with Prototype Musique who produced my first EP. On the album I'll be collaborating with local Greek and Turkish ethnic musicians which is an exciting new direction for me. I've been listening to a lot of this music after visiting my home country of Greece a few years ago and want to bring elements of it into the Brother to the Birds story. I've also been playing a lot of ukulele recently for my 1 year old daughter, so I think there will be elements of this on the new record. It's a lot safer playing a $30 instrument then a $2,000 Maton Guitar when there are babies around that want to touch everything that is precious to you!


Yes... ukulele is probably the most overused instrument in today's music world, but I feel it's important to capture a ukulele-heavy time of my life that may not present itself again!

7. Upcoming concerts, events...
-You can catch us perform in venues around Melbourne. Also we have an album launch in early 2019.

8. Links of interest.
- You can check us out at
http://www.brothertothebirds.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment